Monday 16 October 2017

Blacklobstertailpickelhaube

Well, I'm just recovering from a "jet lag" of an London festival weekend ... as it was my Birthday and me and my better half we just about heading off to the said event, as the doorbell rang and my beautiful neighbour delivered a very big package from an unknown source...

As it happen to be from my wonderful brother-in-law, who sent me a replica of an what appears to be an WW1 Curassier Officer‘s helmet - Yes, a Pickelhaube! The "Pickel" is removeable and the whole black metal was steeped in oil to prevent rust ... so I had to "polish" it off a bit... The black lobster back helmet seem to be also a favourite of the officer class in those days. I thought I‘d share some admittedly low lighted images for your considerate entertainment.

... and yes, my skull is too big to fit it entirely on, (or these officers had less head room, which is worrying but not entirely surprising).  :)








3 comments:

  1. Nice, my school music teacher used to wear an original ww1 helmet to the tube to keep the rain off, I guess you'd call him eccentric if you were being kind!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, aren't we all in this hobby... I might take it to the next club weekend game of FPW ... maybe ...

      Delete
    2. That would of course be entirely appropriate!
      Best Iain

      Delete